Football: Djibril Sow’s Frankfurt takes an option on the final


Winner on the lawn of West Ham (2-1), Eintracht Frankfurt got off to a good start in the semi-finals of the Europa League. In the Europa Conference League, OM lost to Feyenoord (1-2) in Rotterdam.

Djibril Sow played the entire first leg of the Europa League semi-final against West Ham on Thursday evening.

IMAGO/Jan Huebner

Djibril Sow’s Eintracht Frankfurt won on Thursday in London in the den of West Ham (2-1) in the semi-final of the first leg of the Europa League, putting the German club back in an ideal position for the game in a week. Just like in the quarter-finals, where Frankfurt beat FC Barcelona (3-2) in the Camp Nou, Oliver Glasner’s players showed that they can also win outdoors. They were launched well from the first minute by Ansgar Knauff, who dove into the back of London’s defense to open the score with a header, before dominating the 20 minutes that followed.

Michail Antonio then got his team back on track by taking over a header from Kurt Zouma after a free kick (21st). In the end, it was Daichi Kamada who let Eintracht take the win by being well-placed (54th) after an attack pushed to the ground by Hammers goalkeeper Alphonse Areola. Jarrod Bowen almost equalized in stoppage time, but his brilliant acrobatic volley hit the bar.

Leipzig has had patience

In the other semi-final, RB Leipzig had to wait a long time before breaking through the defense of Glasgow Rangers and winning 1-0, a minimal score given the chances of the German club promising a complicated comeback. † In an RB Arena that appeared to be resigned to a draw, Spanish side Angelino scored the only goal of the game with a volley from the left after a corner that was cleared by the Scottish defence. This goal, his first in the competition, rewarded the hitherto sterile dominance of Domenico Tedesco’s players and allows RB Leipzig to take a small extra step towards the first European final in its fledgling history.

OM lose but keep hope

Badly shaken in Rotterdam by Feyenoord, OM were defeated 3-2 in the semi-final first leg of the Europa League Conference and punished for their defensive inconsistencies, but the return leg at the Vélodrome could still enable the Marseillais to reach a sixth European final to obtain . Arriving in the Netherlands with a run of ten wins in 11 games, OM fell from a considerable height in Rotterdam.

In the 18th minute, Dessers opened the score with an assist from Sinisterra on a heel. The Colombian winger, the best player on his team, then scored the second himself, with a deflected shot from Rongier (2-0, 20th). Marseille was then still far from Tirana and the final on 25 May. But when they were really suffocated, Payet and his family found some air on a nice collective action that this time ended well by Dieng with an attack from the right (2-1, 28th). We then saw that the Dutch hinge was suspicious and the keeper doubtful. The impression was confirmed ten minutes later with Marseille’s equalizing goal. Starting from Gerson, the move resulted in the Brazilian’s currently irresistible recovery, via Payet and Guendouzi, via a poor intervention by goalkeeper Marciano (2-2, 40th).

OM had emerged from the storm, but the Provençal recovered from the difficulty on their own with an incredible blunder by Caleta-Car from the start of the second period. As a bad present for Mandanda’s 100th European appearance with OM, the Croat sent his goalkeeper a soft and completely missed return pass. Dessers intercepted it and the glasses of beer flew over again (3-2, 46th).

The name of the finalist will therefore be determined during the return match on Thursday in Marseille. Just like De Kuip on Thursday, the Velodrome will play a role.

In contrast, Leicester and AS Roma were neutralized in England (1-1). The Giallorossi opened the scoring in the first period on a counter-attack from their captain Lorenzo Pellegrini, well launched into the depths by Nicola Zalewski, who crossed his shot to adjust the goalkeeper (1-0, 15th). The Foxes then equalized at the start of the second period, thanks to Ademola Lookman, who took over a cross from midfielder Harvey Barnes (1-1, 67th). The two teams must decide next Thursday in Rome.


Leave a Comment