Wednesday the weather was nice. A detour via the Rousegartchen, a look at the unchanging headquarters of the Spuerkeess on the avenue de la Liberté and back to the editorial office. The worst weather to go hiking in “Spatial Park”. The most famous intersection of the metaverse Spatial is more beautiful than that of Somnian Space, but just as boring… Against the background of a sunny sky, lake and greenery, paintings are offered to the avatar’s gaze. Probably some NFT is stored there. With the first metaverse launched on the Ethereum blockchain, you can check them out on OpenSea, the Amazon of artistic NFTs. This is also where Vizz started selling the first 10 NFTs of The Duchy, the Luxembourg metaverse. For 7,349 to 9,527 dollars it is possible to buy 500 to 1,000 square meters there.
“Jean Peupludetreunavatar”, my ephemeral avatar of this virtual walk during my working hours, could predict without taking much risk that the metaverse of the future will be on the blockchain. Blankos, Rarerooms, Vault Hilt or Mona have already launched there.
Did you fall? It’s normal. Let’s go back to basics.
1. A metaverse is a virtual universe in which the player, the student, the fashionista or the advisor are represented by avatars, more or less customizable according to the platforms. They can move in this universe and meet and discuss perfect (or not) strangers or acquaintances, learn, have fun, discover. When will the first fully immersive metaverse event be held in Luxembourg after Nasir Zubairi’s first Fintech Friday in March 2020? That’s the real question at a time when old school events are thriving just to toast after an hour.
2. How do we get there? In the past – it was more than 20 years ago – they are increasingly available via a website. Not just on a good old computer, but also on a smartphone or connected devices, from game consoles to virtual reality headsets.
3. What are we doing there? Only the imagination is the limit. At the beginning of April, 500 million (!) young people played it every month, mainly on Roblox, 17 years of existence and 230 million players alone (well, ok, it’s down, but with millions of developers working on it, everything will be fine, editor’s note). Spotify has decided to launch its island where budding musicians can quietly break avatars’ ears without running the risk of going deaf before reaching their majority. In May, they can meet K-Pop stars Stray Kids and Sunmi there.
While sources suggest that a majority of young women are under 25, Korean Zapato has 20 million older monthly users out of a 300 million subscriber base. It’s THE metaverse for fashion fans and designers, already invested by brands like Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Dior and even Christian Louboutin. You must like that the eLouboutins paid a fortune, but since it’s not my avatar’s strongest point, it’s his turn.
One of the most promising areas highlighted by Bank of America strategists Merrill Lynch Haim Israel, Felix Tran and Martyn Briggs is education. “The fundamental idea is based on adaptive learning that has been around for many years,” they say. “The metaverse is just a context, immersive, that can basically bring the best of digital technologies to education if and only if done right, with the science of learning and real children in it.” ‘spirit,’ Brookings replies in the most outstanding guide to educational content providers out there.
The other idea to look at is that of the “desktop”, but without getting too excited. Yes, between Facebook’s Infinite Office or the future version of Microsoft’s Teams, two of the heavyweights are ready to forget the coffee machine and its gossip. Except that bringing everyone together in a single virtual environment, at the scale of globalized societies, should solve some problems: good connectivity, minimal latency, regional habits and customs, both from a linguistic and hierarchical point of view.
4. Can you make money there? Yes, because many spend it to be “in”. The psychological mechanics are no different from the one where the local jet set parks their race car in front of the Skøl or the Boos (for you stars who never managed to park your two sublime Lamborghini Huracans in front of the entrance, courage : one of your friends could not come out of his Ferrari…).
Most metaverses offer to personalize the user experience, offering them other virtual outfits to buy, objects or even property. According to Nic Mitham’s latest Metaverse Radar, there are 20 “Real Estate” metaverses in the works. 19 exactly when we consider that Cryptovoxels has less than 100,000 monthly users four years after its launch.
Let’s alert anyone who doesn’t know what to do with their NFT to the imminent launch of Musee Dezentral, which has the ambition to transform itself into a virtual museum, even ready to exhibit… stolen art.
There are 1000 ways to imagine making money provided you spend it. For example, at the end of the year, Unity bought Peter Jackson’s special effects studio, Weta, for $1.62 billion with the idea of having a toolbox to sell to content creators that the cinema industry would dream of becoming. eventually be able to offer three first immersive rows in cinemas. In this idea, the entire value chain is brought together up to and including the intensive use of the cloud.
5. What should we understand about trends? Three pretty simple things: the fanfare organized around the metaverse in this month of May will give birth to the survival of a handful of these universes in a few years, their future will necessarily be through cryptocurrencies and the blockchain and the experts announce that a quarter of the world’s population will spend an average of one hour a day there. It is also often interesting to compare the number of subscribers to the number of Internet users who have connected in the past month to understand that size matters in development strategies. Zapato, for example, is still communicating about its 300 million subscribers… of which less than 3 million connected last month. In view of the costs to be incurred, the next of kin will have to be financially healthy. Given the billions of people this could affect, the number of transactions and exchanges will have to move quickly and overcome the cumbersomeness of the current system.
6. A bonus to brighten up your life in society? On February 22, from 8:00 PM to 9:00 AM, Abhijeet Goel married Dr. Sansrati on the Indian metaverse Yug for 500 avatars. An Asia first, seven years after the first marriage of this type, between Traci “Dolly Parton” and Dave “Jeff Bezos” Gagnon, kissing simultaneously in the metaverse and at a New Hampshire country club. Similar or romantic?
(Note to the reader who’s made it this far: “Jean Peupludetreunavatar” has been wandering the metaverse regularly for 20 years. The only thing that’s changed so far is the graphics, fluidity, and access. The World Health Organization on obesity, which now affects almost two in three European adults.)
This article comes from the weekly newsletter Paperjam Trendin’, the meeting place to follow the news about innovation and new technologies. You can subscribe to it
by clicking here.